Sunday, November 9, 2008

in the cafe spotlight: AMomentAMemory28

Featured Etsian: AMomentAMemory28
Shop link: AMomentAMemory28.etsy.com

Plantable Card 4 1/2 x 6 (by AMomentAMemory28)

Give us the basics:

I live on the shores of Lake Erie in good old NY state. I do photography. I make plantable ACEOs (Art Cards, Editions and Originals) and plantable greeting cards, as well as printed greeting cards - all using prints of my
photographs.

What’s your favourite smell?
Sugar cookies just after you take them out of the oven!

How long have you been doing your craft?
I have been taking photographs since I was old enough to have a camera, though only professionally (ie getting paid for my work, lol) for the past year.

Who/What inspires you in your craft?
My biggest inspirations are my family and faith, foremost, but I am constantly being inspired by nature and the world around me as well. There is so much beauty all around us. I love the adventure and challenge of capturing shots that evoke long lost memories in others.

Photographer wise, I have been very inspired by couragemylove.etsy.com and jaredks.etsy.com. Both of them have a phenomenal talent for taking ordinary moments and capturing the extraordinary uniqueness and beauty in those moments. Couragemylove is very whimsical and when you look at her photographs, you feel like you are transcending the humdrum of the world and entering a place of daydreams. JaredKS's photographs are just sheer magic. He can take an ordinary bird bath or dandelion and capture it in a light or angle that makes it appear so surreal and lovely you would think at first glance it was a painting!

4x6 photograph print (by AMomentAMemory28)

What do you like least about your craft?
My least favorite things are trying to decide what pictures to sell in my shop and use for cards and ACEOs. My hubby helps me with choosing because two heads always seem to be better than one. I don't love cutting the plantable paper because it is very tedious, but I love making the cards themselves.

What’s a normal day for you?
There is no normal in this house with 3 cats and 3 daughters, lol! Most days are up at 7 or 7:30 am, get my oldest off to school and the other 2 fed and dressed. Then I check emails and work on any cards or ACEOs I am making. After lunch, we head off to shoot pics with the 2 little ones. Later, I pick up my oldest from school and we go to the park or beach for more pictures and adventures. Then its dinner, baths, and bed. Once the kids go to bed, I put pictures on the computer, go through them, crop, etc. I respond to emails and prepare any orders that need to be shipped the next day. These days, I go to bed between 12am and 1am.

What advice would you give Etsy sellers just starting out?
I would tell all new etsy sellers several things that others have told me and I have found to be very helpful. First and foremost, don't ever forget why you started crafting. It is very easy to get caught up in the business aspects of selling. Hold on to, and utilize, that passion and inspiration - it will keep you going and help you to always strive to better yourself and your items. Secondly, I would say always have fun with your work. Always challenge yourself to try new things. Work hard, stay focused, and NEVER give up! Don't forget to enjoy the quiet times of business and use them to be creative. Lastly, PROMOTE, promote, promote - on and off etsy.

How do you discover new things on Etsy?
I do searches, I view treasuries, I participate in teams and the forums. My biggest method of discovery has been my custom orders. I have had some awesome customers sending me requests for very cool and new items to make. I love the custom order feature and wish more people would use it. I never grow tired of going out and spending hours or days shooting a shot to use for a custom card. It keeps me on my toes for sure!

5x7 Greeting Card (by AMomentAMemory28)

No comments: