Monday, November 24, 2008

in the cafe spotlight: magicbeanbuyer

Featured Etsian: magicbeanbuyer
Shop link: magicbeanbuyer.etsy.com

Strawberry Creme Doughnut Pendant (by magicbeanbuyer)

Give us the basics:

magicbeanbuyer - Delaware, USA - I make miniature figurines and accessories. Mostly polymer clay, and mostly food related...because food is awesome!

What’s your favourite smell?
Bounce Fabric Softener. I could sit in the aisle at the store forever just smelling the box. I looooove clean laundry smell.

Who/What inspires you in your craft?
My inspiration comes mostly from food. There's just so many kinds. The colors and textures. And they all have different meanings to different people. Plus, I love cute things. Have you ever come across a cupcake that wasn't cute?

The Wedding Couple in Blue (by magicbeanbuyer)

What do you like least about your craft?
The waiting! With my Plinis I have to wait and wait and wait between coats of paint and varnish. I think I could get a lot more done if they dried faster. I have a fan, that helps a lot, but there's still a lot of waiting

What’s a normal day for you?
I get up in the morning and check my email for anything time sensitive, then leave for my "9 to 5" job. On my breaks I'll browse the Etsy forums and answer convos if I have enough time. If I'm feeling fancy I'll renew an item or bid on some Project Wonderful ad space. Mostly I waste time in the forums though. I get home and pack up any orders I've received. Then spend the rest of the evening either taking and editing photos, painting, blogging and/or answering more convos and emails and of course playing Rock Band. Somewhere in there I manage to make dinner, feed the cats and clean up the apartment too. There's never enough time in the day for everything!

What advice would you give Etsy sellers just starting out?
Don't underprice your work. Really take the time to research and determine how much your items are worth - how much time goes into them, the cost of your materials, listing fees, etc etc. I'm not a pro, but I have learned a ton since starting out. I look back on my first few sales and can't believe I ever made any sort of profit. If you're looking towards selling for more than a hobby it's definately very important, as I've learned.

How do you discover new things on Etsy?
In the forums I click on the avatars of people that I find nice/interesting/thoughtful. I also find many great things by looking at the treasuries.

Black Kitteh (by magicbeanbuyer)

No comments: