Saturday, October 11, 2008

in the cafe spotlight: Meekiyua

Featured Etsian: Meekiyua
Shop link: meekiyua.etsy.com

Red Lover's Knot Meekiyu Couple (by Meekiyua)

Give us the basics:

My store is www.meekiyua.etsy.com and I'm based in New York City and I make tiny origami people called Meekiyu into tags/magnets and whatnots.

What’s your favourite smell?
My favorite smell is light scent of peonies... and also mint.

How long have you been doing your craft?
I've always been into arts and crafts since I was very young like 6 years old? Meekiyu's were something I just created during the summer of 2008 for an art auction I attended.

Who/What inspires you in your craft?
I guess everything I see and do inspires me especially if people are involved in giving me ideas and nudges on what they like. My biggest inspiration is my late grandma Mee who I named the Meekiyu's after.

Meekiyu Flower Blank Stationary Luv Cards (by Meekiyua)

What do you like least about your craft?
I like all my crafts except when I need to cut the faces out and other tiny things that stay constant. The reasoning is because I'm impatient and I want to capture my design on it ASAP.

What’s a normal day for you?
I go to school part time and also work part time. So I always wake up at 7:30, drop my brother off at school... if I have time before work/school I would check if anything sold and browse the forums a bit. Around 9-10 the sunlight is bright but not too strong... so it's perfect time to take pictures of my items. After that I usually post my item for the day. Usually around 11am I go to school or work and depending on the day I come back home at 8pm-10pm where I check on my site and forum and start making some new pieces and jot any new ideas. Friday and the weekend is when I usually do most of my creating.

What advice would you give Etsy sellers just starting out?
For people just starting out... you must promote yourself... I have blog, facebook and spread though word of mouth. Get into the forums and don't be scared to ask questions! Read the storque articles! There are alot alot of useful articles!

How do you discover new things on Etsy?
I'm still fairly new so I discover new things about Etsy either by roaming around the site or reading on the forums.

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe Costumed Trio Tags (by Meekiyua)

No comments: